Based in Panama City, LCO supports UNOPS operations and projects centres in the region, providing financial oversight of projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
LCO helps ensure that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated among projects. A major regional transport hub, Panama City affords excellent connectivity and access to UNOPS clients and other important development actors in the region. LCO is based in the United Nations regional headquarters for Latin America and the Caribbean.
LCO supports UNOPS operations and project centres in:
A broad range of clients select UNOPS to help them achieve their goals, including governments, international financial institutions and non-governmental and intergovernmental organizations.
UNOPS clients in Latin America and the Caribbean include the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (BCIE), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the United nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) and the World Bank.
UNOPS also helps deliver projects on behalf Governments, including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Uruguay.
UNOPS provides a wide variety of services to its clients in
Latin America and the Caribbean, offering solutions to specific
problems or managing and executing complex operations from
start to finish.
Core UNOPS services include:
- Designing and managing projects of all sizes, providing multiple, complementary services such as logistical planning; local operations benefit from year-round managerial and technical support from UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and the regional office in Panama City
- Large-scale procurement of goods and services, including guidance to clients throughout the procurement process; with its significant buying power, UNOPS enjoys considerable leverage with suppliers and passes cost savings on to clients
- Physical infrastructure design, engineering, construction and rehabilitation, including the erection of durable storage facilities in remote locations at short notice
- Communication and information technology services, including nationwide public outreach campaigns and procurement of the products and services needed to launch and maintain sophisticated information systems
- Vetting, recruitment, management and payment of field staff and technical experts, as well as assistance in establishing or enhancing administrative support systems
- Capacity-building and training to ensure that local personnel have the necessary skills for successful and sustained project implementation.
- Financial and loan management, including assistance to both borrowers and lenders to ensure that recipients have the capacity to implement loans, and close monitoring of disbursements
- Risk management and security services, including training, coordination of local and international security, police, air operations and medical response teams, analysis, operations room setup and monitoring and
evacuation of staff