The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Government of Sri Lanka
Korea International Cooperation Agency
United Nations Sri Lanka
UNOPS operations in Sri Lanka focus on social and economic development projects that build in-country national capacity.
From Colombo, UNOPS supports infrastructure needs at innovation, policy and implementation levels, through involvement in disaster risk reduction and management for sustainable and resilient infrastructure.
We aim to address vital climate change and environmental issues such as water resource management and solid waste management. Teams further assist with strengthening operational and technical capacities of actors at national and sub-national levels towards meeting their commitments vis-à-vis the 2030 Agenda.
Our work across the region focuses on high-quality sustainable infrastructure and procurement services, while delivering projects in a timely manner by using the most relevant technologies. These projects, implemented in cooperation with national governments, donors and UN organizations, provide social and economic benefits to vulnerable populations across South Asia and contribute to poverty eradication.
- UNOPS impact in Sri Lanka
- Integrated Solid Waste Management Systems developed in two districts in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka, facilitating better waste management services to more than 650,000 people in the country.
- Supporting local economic development through the construction of 2 harbours, 6 anchorages and 15 landing sites across Sri Lanka.
- Supported local governments with designing and constructing urban drainage management facilities to mitigate environmental and disaster damage.
- Over 40 km of urban drainage networks have been improved or built by UNOPS to mitigate flooding in some of the most vulnerable urban areas.
- Built approximately 450 km of roads and 11 bridges to improve connectivity and increase market access in the northern and eastern provinces.
- 21.2MPopulationTotal population
Total population is based on the de facto definition of population, which counts all residents regardless of legal status or citizenship. The values shown are midyear estimates.
Source: data.worldbank.org (2016)