The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Government of Norway
Indonesian Peatland Restoration Agency (BRG)
Since 2005, UNOPS has supported a variety of projects on behalf of the government of Indonesia and other partners in their efforts to improve education, health, the environment, and disaster prevention and preparedness.
UNOPS in Indonesia – through its flagship projects – contributes to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular SDG 13 on climate action and SDG 15 on protecting life on land.
- UNOPS impact in Indonesia
- Supporting BRG in the effective restoration of nearly 2.5 million hectares of peatlands across seven provinces.
- Enhanced access to education by constructing and rehabilitating 225 schools between 2005-2010, following a devastating tsunami.
- Improved healthcare by constructing 27 ‘Posyandus Plus’ – integrated health, nutrition and early childhood development centres – and by renovating three microbiology laboratories and seven hospital facilities across Indonesia.
- Improved peatland and forest fire prevention mechanisms using a computer-based forecasting tool that predicts high-risk fire areas.
- 89.74%Primary school enrollmentSchool enrollment, primary (% net)
Net enrollment rate is the ratio of children of official school age who are enrolled in school to the population of the corresponding official school age. Primary education provides children with basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills along with an elementary understanding of such subjects as history, geography, natural science, social science, art, and music.
Source: data.worldbank.org (2016)